PHANTOM PREGNANCY ADVICE!

PHANTOM PREGNANCY ADVICE!

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice PHANTOM PREGNANCY ADVICE!

• This topic has 828 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi all! Our latest rescue, little Roxy the dal (previously Calista) is currently experiencing a phantom pregnancy – exhibiting the usual associated behaviour, digging up the bag lawn, being a bit possessive with inanimate objects and being even more scared (didnt think it was possible :( for her) to leave the house for her short walks…. Her tummy is quite swollen but thankfully she’s not having probs with mastitis (cant spell!). Our vet is bringing her spay forward by a month (end April now). We were also advised to cut her food, which is very hard for us to do as she’s constantly starving and she’s so tiny as it is. We’ve never experienced phantom pregnancy in any of our dogs over the years, just wondering if anybody has any experience of this? Any / all advice greatly appreciated! :)

DID Rescue
    Keymaster

I have had a few dogs with this condition but I never heard of cutting their food back. Have you increased the amount recently? The swollen tummy is due largly to the production of milk and she is hungry because he body is gearing up to feeding babies.

Also any vet I have dealt with will not spay during a phantom as the hormones are totally confused and the dog needs to be done once the phanton has stopped otherwise it can affect the dog long term.

At the moment her body is gearing up for having puppies albeit it phantom ones so if she gets spayed at the wrong time it can affect the hormone balance.
    Usually I found that my dogs at the time got a phantom a couple of weeks after a season.
    There is a medication called Gallustop I think to stop the milk production and then hopefully bring it to an end.
    After that happens thats the time to get her spayed.
    I hope this helps.

Hi I have no advice but my dog went through the same thing in November.She had a season 2 months after her last season had ended so this delayed her being spayed.When I eventually had her booked into be spayed,the Vet discovered milk in her teats/swollen tummy so she told me she couldn’t be spayed then as she was having a phantom pregnancy :o I then realized why she was hungry all the time & constantly looking for food,whereas before she was very fussy with food,& she had a toy puppy in her bed that if anyone moved it she would be over straight away to put it back but yet never tried to rip it or anything.I asked the Vet should I take away the toy dog but she said no just leave it with her.I brought my dog back to Vets 2 weeks later & she was ready then to be spayed as her hormones had calmed down. :D

Thanks for that guys. Apols for the confusion – Vet said the same Jake n Bailey – I prob confused the issue with what I posted. What I meant to say was that the Vet was trying to get a handle on her seasons and stuff, based on what we had told her about her being in season in the pound, and was giving her a chance to settle in with us and see how she was doing in herself before giving a provisional date for the spay. She did say that they would only spay her once the milk production etc had ceased and she did explain about the hormones etc, so you were bang on there! Like Twists doggie she hasnt been displaying any aggression with the objects of her affection and we’d left her with anything she had stolen, just til the symptoms disappear. Like Twist, I find that she’s absolutely ravenous with the hunger all the time, and although she hasnt been a fussy eater since she came here (apart from banana – she doesnt like them! :) she is just constantly savage for food! She has been too scared to go outside of the rooms she’s usually in and out of, just sticks to her comfort zones but now she will follow me into the scullery (where all the treats and food are stored!) to see if she can scrounge something! I must ask the vet again why she told us to reduce her food intake – usually we’re ages in there when we go as we have our list prepared in advance of anything we need to ask about the doggie in question, so it was prob just a case of info overload! Appreciate the replies! BTW beautiful doggies! Are they part belgian shepherds?

missy

Our Daisy went through the same thing. She took a sudden liking to teddies and socks! She was hiding them and wouldnt let anyone near them. We were told to take all these things away from her as she thought they were her babies! We did that and she stopped producing milk and went back to normal very soon after that! We were also advised to leave her a few months after that to have her neutered. The poor little things! Best of luck with it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.