Newly neutered male, how long before washing?

Newly neutered male, how long before washing?

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice Newly neutered male, how long before washing?

• This topic has 122 voices and 2 replies.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Row

Hi all, I am new to fostering with Dogs in Distress. Have been fostering with other rescues before. Earlier this week I fostered a 3 year old Saluki. Lovely boy, but very nervous. He was neutered the day before he got to me. I was wondering how long before I can give him a bath, or groom him….he is pretty smelly and his coat would really benefit from one. I know keeping the stitches dry is very important. I also think washing him would stress the hell out of him. He is very nervous. Would a groomer be a better idea when the time is right, or should I just get some extra manpower to help me wash him in the bath?

DID Rescue
    Keymaster

Ideally he should not be washed until the stitches come out but if it becomes vital you can cover the area including the stitches with Vaseline and that will waterproof the stitches.
    I know it awful when they smell but another short term option is to wipe him down all over with Baby Wipes, this will help.

You can also sponge bath the main parts with warm to hot water a tiny amount of shampoo and squeeze sponge tight and wipe all over.

There are also dry shampoos for dogs but I don’t know how good they are.

If he is nervous it would be best for you to start this cleaning, washing procedure at home where he feels safe.
    Going to a strange place and all the noisy equipment would not help his disposition at the moment.
    Good Luck.

Row

Thanks for the reply. I have given him a bit of a wipe down today, so that will do until the stitches come out. Though I may have to bath his feet as he keeps peeing on the feathering on his front legs when he goes to the toilet, presume this is as it is still sore to lift his leg. Hopefully that will not be the case for too much longer. I will bath him myself next week after the stitches come out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.