Getting rid of dog urine odour on concrete

Getting rid of dog urine odour on concrete

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice Getting rid of dog urine odour on concrete

• This topic has 1,687 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    evab

Just wondering if anyone would have any advice on how to get rid
    of dog urine smell from concrete path. Our 15 month old male
    collie/shepard cross refuses to pee anywhere other than in the side
    passage of our house. No matter how long a walk we bring him on
    or how long we are out he always waits till we come home to go!
    Because he only ever goes there, even though we wash down the
    path at least twice a day the smell still lingers and is particularly
    bad in warm weather. It is becoming a real problem as the passage runs along side where our neighbours sit on their patio and while they
    havn’t complained yet I’m sure it won’t be long before they do. I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks

geordie

biological washing powder is great for getting rid of the scent :)

dogsrule

Steam cleaning is great, I’ve used a little hand held steam cleaner and it freshens the place up. Haven’t used it on concrete but carpets.

LuvMyFurKids

I fill a watering can with water and 3 good squeezes of bleach and try to get the piddle pools before they dry in…..drown them with the watering can and scrub with a yard brush…. must try the bio powder one….leaves a nice smell I bet!

geordie

the biological removes the odour stops the dog from piddling in the same spot

evab

Thanks for the very prompt replies :D I have actually tried both
    the biological powder and the bleach and while they do work
    for a short while the smell seems to come back very quickly.

tracy

best thing is some boiled water an lemon,that should do the trick

ash

Tried and tested method (lots of dogs peeing on concrete in my house!):

1) Biological washing powder in warm (not boiling) water – scrub the bejesus out of it the ground until very foamy, leave for 5/10 minutes (gives it a chance to break down all the pee residue). Rinse with boiling water.

2) Jayes fluid, diluted in hot water (I use the spray, very handy and no diluting) or a very concentrated solution of bleach (chlorine, not ammonia) – scrub the bejesus out of the concrete, leave for 5/10 minutes. Rinse (really well!) with boiling water.

3) Leave to dry before letting dogs back onto it.

( 4) If there is still a mild pong (just general dog smell), spray Tea Tree oil (in a spray bottle, with hot water – shake really well) onto the area and leave to dry before letting the dogs out. Leaves a very fresh smell)

Don’t forget to the up the edge walls too, they can get very nasty smelling in the recent wet, but hot, weather. A good, stiff yard brush is a must for this – gets all the chemicals into the nooks and crannies. Make sure you let everything sit for a little while, or even better scrub it for a few minutes (might be a bit hard on the shoulders though!). The Tea Tree oil makes everything smell very fresh, but usually I don’t have a need to use this because the other 3 steps get rid of the smell of pee.

evab

Thanks. I’ll give that a go.

Mutley

Armillatox soap-based ground cleaner (similar to Jeyes) is also effective – Woodies sell it, as will most large garden centres. It will wipe out the scent of anything!!

elaine136

vinegar….what can’t it do….pop some in boiling water might do the trick !

DID Rescue
    Keymaster

There is a product available call "Urine Off".
    It works on breaking down the crystals in the urine and this is what causes the smell.
    I got it at a dog show before but if you google it I am sure you will track it down.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.