Oscar – Fox Terrier – HOMED

Oscar – Fox Terrier – HOMED

New Home Forums DID Dogs Our Dogs In Loving Memory Oscar – Fox Terrier – HOMED

• This topic has 14,212 voices and 148 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 149 total)
  • Author
    Indianna

:D He looks FANTASTIC!!! Just think how spectacular he will be when he is back to full health, what a stunner. Well done Cory and your foster family – a BIG GOLD START to all.

jdogs2010

well done guys. i remember being at the pound the day you guys picked cory up and boy does this dog look better and happier. again, well done! one of my faves i have to admit :D

Angela1

How is Cory doing? With all this wonderful care and attention he must feel like he’s won the lotto (wish I had)

Curly

Apologies for the delay with this update! (Thanks to Kim for putting up the pics in his foster sisters coat :lol: )
    Cory has been here with me 2 weeks today. We discovered that his real name is Oscar – which suits him I think.
    Lots of photos to upload, so Ill start with his first few days here.

When he was still feeling a little worse for wear:

I like playing with my new foster sister!

Pause for a quick conversation:

Oscar was put on a course of antibiotics, which he has now finished and a course of steroids (which he finishes on Friday). He has his malaseb washes every second day and the itching is now only when he really feels the urge. He is the perfect dog to wash and groom – he just loves them and he gets rubbed all over with tea tree moisturizer after his bath. He is just getting over kennel cough, which he had for nearly two weeks, but he has had no coughing today or yesterday. :)

He eats like a horse – two meals a day and he devours each one. He will eat everything – mince, cheese, chicken, spuds, tuna, mackeral, natural yogurt sausages and he loves pudding mixed into his nuts. :D

He is brilliant with other dogs, but watches his food and treats like a hawk when another dog is around. He is completely house trained and is in no way destructive. His recall is ok, but everyone knows terriers have selective hearing :lol: so if he smells something REALLY good, you will just have to wait until HES good and ready! He is getting better though especially when he knows hes being called back to a pocket full of sausages :roll:
    I took him up the fields after the first couple of days here and it was like shooting a bullet from a gun! He was off after every scent he could find! 8-) I love watching the terrors do their ‘thing’ though. ;)
    Oscar is excellent on the lead and you could walk him on your baby finger.
    Oscar is very gentle and loves kids (he has played with kids 4yrs +).
    He is NOT good with cats and will chase them at any and every opportunity. He has my cat driven tormented (but most of the time he brings it on himself :roll:) Oscar sleeps in his crate at night and weve got to the stage where the cat can come into the room while the crate door is open, but close contact is a no no.
    He would make a smashing medium sized dog for agility.
    Oscar needs a very secure garden – he makes it his business to find new ways of getting out just for fun. He is very smart and knows ‘sit’ and ‘paw’ so far. Experience with this breed would be preferable for prospective homes.

First weekend here our outing on the beach:

Feeling the wind in his hair, well on his skin at least!

Having a quick pee:

Oscar contemplates taking a dip:

And then, just before dark, he decides he wants to go for a swim in the river instead – he swears it was worth it :roll: (Im not convinced)

Indianna

:D Well Oscar’s progress was well worth waiting for. Did his foster family swap him for another dog? :lol: From his first photo to his last – he is in completely different worlds and I hope his first world never visits itself upon him again.

Angela1

Hi Curly, I have sent you a pm

Curly

Oscar is approx 2 – 3 years old. He had sarcoptic mange but has been given the all clear. He does have a secondary skin infection from all the scratching and it will take time for his hair to grow back on his neck. :(
    We were able to find out some information on how Oscar came to be where he is now.
    Oscar ended up in Meath Pound either from straying or he was surrendered. He was then rehomed from Meath Pound to a family in north Dublin. They then rehomed him to a family in west Dublin. He then either strayed or more than likely ended up in the wrong hands. :o Eventually he was found wandering along country roads on the Dublin/Meath border, was found by a man in the condition he was in and brought to Ashton Pound. :(
    He is now in the good hands of DiD and we aim to make sure his next home is his forever home! :D
    For such a young dog he certainly has had a lot of upset in his life :x

More pics of the lovely Oscar – these were taken last weekend…

Enjoying the sun after his wash:

Playing with his ‘other’ new girlfriend Daisy, his neighbour:

Basking in the good weather we had last week:

Sharing is caring:

buzzsmom

Cory looks great ,he has come such a long way, the poor little fella what a story. I can really see a huge change in him even in his neck his coat is so much better . His forever home will need to be special. I loved the way he sits and turns his long neck in a peculiar fashion (model like ) to view you without disturbing himself. Well done Curley.

Curly

Oscar was back at the vet last Tuesday as he was totally out of sorts and really down in the dumps.

He was put on more steroids and antibiotics. He has a chronic ear infection and will have to undergo surgery to open up his ear drums more as they are nearly completely closed. This is probably down to an simple ear infection which was left untreated. It got worse and worse and is now ulcerated. Unfortunately, this may be a continuing problem for Oscar, but we wont know until the operation has been performed. The vet reckons that Oscar may not have had mange at all, but some kind of skin allergy which stemed from his ear infection. He will do a final skin scraping when he is under anesthesic, just to be sure.

After the vets we took a trip to see Auntie Liz in the Wagging Tail, who worked her magic – results below: :D

And Oscar sends lots of licks and cuddles as a thank you – hes feeling much better now! Thanks Liz! 8-)

Oscar is back at the vets tomorrow for his check up and to find out when he will be having his op. Wish him luck! ;)

ladles

Poor little guy, he must be in a lot of discomfort with his ear infection. How severe it is to cause such widespread infection. Hope he is feeling better soon and the best of luck at the vets tomorrow.

jdogs2010

will be thinking of Oscar & hope he gets on okay. i have a serious soft spot for this little fella ;)

buzzsmom

the poor little fella,what a long road to recovery, but boy does he look good . Fingers crossed for tomorrow that it wont be long term.Big kiss to Oscar.

Angela1

This little fella is blessed that he fell into the arms of Dogs in Distress. I hope the vet works his magic to heal Oscars ear and skin infections. A special ‘Thank You’ to Curly for the TLC

martinac

hugs Oscar..you are such a special dog. Even in the pound though you must have been in so much pain and discomfort, you were a true gent! you deserve only the best poor man!!

Angela1

How is Oscar? Hope his ear infection is clearing up – poor little thing must have been so uncomfortable. Has the vet decided when he is going to do the operation?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 149 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.