Rehoming 2 schnauzers

Rehoming 2 schnauzers

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice Rehoming 2 schnauzers

• This topic has 642 voices and 3 replies.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daisychains

Hi
    I was hoping you could give me some advice. I am hoping to adopt 2 miniature schnauzers in the next few weeks. They are both male ( aged 2 and 18 months app). Their current owner does not have enough time to walk them daily. Although I had dogs growing up this will be the first time I have some of my own. I live in Dublin, the dogs currently live in Donegal. I will have to go and collect them by car and am a bit worried about the journey as they do not know me at all. I could go and visit once and then come back and get them a few days later – would that make it easier or should I just go and take them immediately. Unfortunately their owner isn’t able to make the journey herself.

Any advice to settle them in when we get them home would also be appreciated.When I get them home, I have 2 young kids (3 and 5).

Delighted to hear your good news! :)
    I would strongly advise you to pull out all the stops to try to arrange to get to meet the dogs prior to you taking them home. They have a huge upheaval ahead of them and anything at all you can do to make them feel as safe and comfortable as possible would be much appreciated. Imagine how frightened they may be, taken out of the only home they’ve ever known and leaving with, to them, a stranger. Even if you could only meet them once before you adopt them, it can only be a positive thing.
    I would advise you to find out as much as you can about them from their current owner; even ask if she / he will do out a little manual type thing for you with their favourite food / treats / toys / their little quirks. Unfortunately I dont have any knowledge of the schnauzer as a breed but you could either buy a book on the breed or better still make contact with the kennel club, who could in turn put you in touch with an experienced owner who can give you a lot of info about the breed that books or the net will not.
    Finally, as dogs love routine and can be very fearful of change, take their bedding / blankets / feeding bowls / toys, anything at all that current owner has that would be familiar to them, to set up in your home. I would recommend that you bring an item of clothing / toy from your home with all your family’s scent on it (including children) if possible and even leave it with the dogs so that they can get used to your scent before you take them home. Find out from current owner what way their beds are positioned so you can mimic this in your house. We have found this really helped us in the past when we have taken other doggies. Try, insofar as you can, to stick to their feeding / walking routines – it really does make a big difference in settling the doggies into their new environment if you can remain as consistent as possible with them. It will be a huge comfort to them to have each other – far more scarier for one poor mite being rehomed alone, so that will help you on your way. Lastly, dont be put off by the fact that you have children – we can all tell you that both are totally compatible as long as they are introduced carefully and boundaries are set for both dog and child! We’re very excited for you! Best of luck with the doggies and keep us posted on how they’re doing – may you all have many long happy years together! :D :D

Hiya Daisychains, back again (having a very blonde day today! :oops: ) I forgot to say in my earlier post, that if you access the Information Sheets section on the advice board, there’s a very useful fact sheet entitled Children and Dogs, which would give you full advice regarding the dogs and your kids (if you’ve not already had both living together previously if you know what I mean!)………..

wiv

Personally I’d just go and take them rather than making the long journey twice, you could walk them/spend a few hours with them with the owner before taking them so they’ll be used to you, and they’ll have the security of each other too. If you need any other advice on this breed you can pm me as I have a mini schnauzer myself.
    I’d also ask the owners how they usually travel by car. My local petshop sells pet seatbelts, they’re just like a harness but clip in where a seatbelt usually does and they’re great. The dogs have enough length to move around/sit/lie down in the seat comfortably but can’t jump from one side of the car to another. The small size I bought was €20. (The pup would probably need the extra small size) They might be worth investing in if the dogs are usually not usually restrained in the car. If they usually travel in a pet carrier/cage I’d buy one of them.
    Good luck with your new schnauzers, they’re a lovely breed :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.