Re-homed jack russell growling problem

Re-homed jack russell growling problem

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice Re-homed jack russell growling problem

• This topic has 782 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    NEILF

Having rehomed a small jack russell terrier from Ashton dog pound, we are having problems with him growling, particularly at my son who is 6 yrs old. This happens only randomly and not all the time. He even does it sometimes when he rolls over for my son to rub his belly and then growls when he is about to rub him. He does it to my female partner also but the only person he dosn’t do it to is me. I’m a grown man and maybe this has something to do with it, but he has been attached to me since day 1 and dosn’t show too much interest in anyone else. When we met him in the pound he was the friendliest dog there and thats why we thought he would get along with our son. We only have him a week now and i’m wondering does he just need more time to settle, but i cant trust him with my son and this is making me think about dropping him back to the pound. We really d’ont want to do this because other wise he is a beautiful dog, and would kill us putting him back in the terrible conditions of the pound. Advice would be greatly appreciated from any experienced dog re-homers.

Jenny

I think you rehomed Jerry the JRT/Corgi X – I met you when you came to collect him. I remember Jerry was quite nervous but nevertheless very friendly. It does take a dog up to a month at least to settle into a new home but having said that I can see you would be concerned.

If anyone on the Board has experience or qualifications maybe they could contribute.

tara

hi,
    dogs do take some time to settle,and every one is different.

PLEASE do make a few phone calls to someone trained in the area before any decision is made. the dog could be nervous and may need re assurance when the person he really bonded to isnt around. when in doubt ask the professionals :D

http://www.dogsbehavingbadly.ie/
    maureen byrne dog physchogy

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/
    tara choules and lisa whelan both qualifies in dog training and behaviour

good luck neil ;)

clairef

Defo seek advice to better understand the type of growl and possible reason.

Some dogs can be quite vocal about everything. My dog growls when I am rubbing his belly but it is a low deep rumble and its his way of saying ‘mmm’ although was initially odd am used to it now!

Dogs growl for different reasons and a consult with a professional in your home will allow them to hopefully spot what type of growler he is and weather he is just a noisy boy or if there is anything you can do to work on it.

Would totally agree with what everyone has said viz getting it checked with the professionals before making any decisions. I have to say, I can particularly identify with what Claire f says – we have 2 dals (both from ashton) and dals are notoriously vocal, though not in the way of barking. Roxy in particular with emit a low really deep scary type noise that sounds like a growl but actually isnt (I know that sounds weird!) when she’s really happy / excited, like when I’m putting on her harness, and when she sees her dinner! The first time my mum heard her she nearly had a heart attack with the fright as she had misinterpreted it as a growl! Our other dal, Lola, also makes what can only be described as a cross between a cat purring (yes!) and a growl when she’s really contented and you’re petting her in a particular spot…… Would also suggest having your jrt checked out by a vet if its only when you pet a particular area that he growls as there could be an underlying medical problem. I can understand your worries, particularly regarding your young son but please please think carefully before you make any major decision – just to be aware, if you do surrender your dog to the pound, he will only get 24 hrs to be rehomed, not the usual 5 days that the other dogs would get. Im sure dog training ireland and/or your vet and the boards here would be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.