Nutrition

Nutrition

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice Nutrition

• This topic has 686 voices and 4 replies.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ptahaney

After attending the talk on Sunday I started thinking about home-cooked food for dogs.

I keep getting mixed messages from people as to what dogs can eat. I know they can’t have human chocolate or seeds from fruit.

Some say you can give dogs eggs, cheese, dairy products, pasta amongst others and other people say they can’t.

Is there anyone who knows what food that dogs are NOT allowed to have and what they are only allowed in small amounts?

Anonymous

I will post up on this topic asap am currently writing on an advice sheet.

Personally I would avoid grapes, onions (not garlic), chocolate, cheese, milk (eggs and yogurt fine), tomatoes, raw potato.

Carrots and Apples (minus seeds) are good for dogs

lainey

I was only recently informed by Pete Wedderburn that grapes can be very dangerous for dogs. My dog Angel loves black grapes and I happened to mention this to him in passing at her last check up. His advice was that dogs can eat grapes perfectly happily for ages and then one comes along that can be totally toxic for them.

So, grapes are off the menu in our house now but carrots are a huge favourite (nearly as popular as a rawhide bone!). :D

Not everything that humans like to consume is good for dogs. Indisputably harmful are alcohol, cocoa and chocolate, with a high proportion of cocoa butter, raw pork, raisins, grapes, all members of the onion family and also hot spicy dishes. A few studies and internet pages now classify further foodstuffs as poorly tolerated by dogs. Among the foods frequently under discussion at present are avocados, peanuts and macadamia nuts.

If anybody would like recipes for a particular condition / occasion such as glossy coat, weight watching dogs, healthy teeth, wind, when doggie unwell, convalescents, stomach and digestion, constipation, or just safe vet approved treaties for your babies, post on advice page and I will oblige! :)

missy

My 2 love a small bit of rice or pasta mixed with a tin of sardines (49c in lidl!) and some carrots and brocolli! Thats their favourite dinner! Great for their coats too, theyre lovely and shiny from the fish! Heard that bout grapes and had to ban them, much to Missys dislike!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.