My hero dog and a pregnancy question

My hero dog and a pregnancy question

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice My hero dog and a pregnancy question

• This topic has 1,231 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    beaglebuddy

There have been lots of negative stories recently involving dogs so I thought I’d share my story about my wonderful beagle x and his heriocs. I woke early on Friday to the sound Elvis running about downstairs. I woke my husband who was annoyed Elvis was scraping the floor he’d just varnished :roll: . I listened for a few seconds and instinctively knew his behaviour was not normal. Got up to find the outside the back of our house engulfed in flames, and the windows just starting to smash. We got out safely, all thanks to him. :D I got him when I was recovering from an illness and am always giving him what I call "wee man cuddles" and telling him he is my guardian angel who left his wings behind, but now I believe it!!!! Always trust your instincts with your dog. On another point, I’m 5 months pregnant (pregnant and homeless :cry: ), so if anyone has any advice on the best way to introduce the dog to the baby it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

buzzsmom

Great story! I was telling it to my dad and he said "boy do they ever owe that dog something" I hope you have banked brownie points for him. I am afraid I have no advice about the introduction of the baby but i guess it would be around the adherance of the pecking order and making sure the baby is higher than the dog but what do I know? best of luck .

Jenny

On bringing her new baby home from hospital a friend of mine wrapped him in a sweater she had been wearing before introducing him to her two dogs. The dogs were familiar with her scent and readily accepted the baby – 4 years and another baby later all are living happily together.

Hope this helps.

Ilovedogs

Introducing a dog to a new baby was on one of the new dog whisperer episodes, maybe a long shot but you might be able to see it online if you google it or check the dog whisperer website, hope this helps :D

beaglebuddy

Thanks very much for the advice. I remember seeing an episode ages ago on the dog whisperer but wasnt pregnant then so didnt really pay that much attention! (Went to see the man himself last night in Belfast, he was very funny). I’ll try looking up the new episode.
    To Buzzmom, hes stocked up on enough brownie points for life :lol:
    Here he is

ptahaney

great story…wouldn’t be able to give advice…never been in situation…

that’s a great looking obstacle course…is it especially for dogs and where is it?

What a lovely story! TG you are all safe and well! Re introducing / prepping doggie to your new arrival – before baby arrives, make sure to let hubby bring home an item of clothing worn by the baby and let doggie have a good sniff. There are C.D.’s you can buy online with baby crying and baby noises etc which will desensitise doggie to such alien sounds before the baby arrives so that when baby cries etc, doggie will not be alarmed and bark and frighten the baby! When baby arrives home, let doggie sniff baby (obviously, with caution). Also, try to involve doggie in all manner of things associated with baby, i.e., talk to doggie when changing / feeding baby etc so that he doesnt feel left out. Most importantly two things – try your best to keep doggie’s routine as normal, and obviously never, ever, leave any dog alone with a baby or child, even if you know his / her temperament. Hope this helps! What an exciting (if not stressful!) time for you all. Many many years of happiness and joy with your new little family! :D ;)

beaglebuddy

Dogs best friend. Thank you so much for all that great advice. Although having my baby in the Royal in Belfast and their new policy is to throw you out 6hrs after you give birth :evil: so Elvis will have to go to his grannies for a few days to give us time to get any clothes smelling of him/her!!
    Trying not to get stressed by recent events and look forward to whats ahead. It’s all very exciting.

ptahaney. We live in Belfast, this is in the grounds of Stormont. I’m not really sure what its there for or if its specifically for dogs but no one was using it so thought it would be a good opportunity to practice with my new camera. It did take a lot of Bonios to get him to cooperate :roll: . Any beagle owner will know food is a very useful tool :lol: (i imagine beagles arent only breed)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.