Is this legal and can i do anything?

Is this legal and can i do anything?

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice Is this legal and can i do anything?

• This topic has 1,452 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    JennyC

Our neighbours have a 5-6 months Husky. He is a sweet boy, but the issue is, they are keeping him outside in the garden. I know, he is Siberian husky and so on, but there is no dog house outside in the garden, so the poor dog sleeps on the chair, which is there. It is raining very often these days, but it is so cold also, so he can’t even sleep under the chair.
    I do not know do they let him into the house during the day, but i see him on that chair every morning, late evening and night time when i go for a walk with my dog.
    A question is, is it legal to keep the dog in those conditions, or is there a regulation to provide at least a kennel for him? I feel so bad every time i see him. I dropped in a note to their post box, to tell them that it is not ok to keep him that way a week ago, but no change.
    Not sure what to do, as they obviously are not going to listen to advice.

dianneh

Hi,
    Poor pup.I do not know rules etc but I do know it is not acceptable to have a dog outside without shelter and clean water.
    As there has been no response to your note for the sake of the pup I would report them to the DSPCA.They will hopefully do a visit and advise them of how to care for the pup properly and then if their advise has been ignored they have the right to take the dog.
    I hope this poor pup gets sorted asap as it is so cold at night now.

Jenny

Most reported cases of animal cruelty involve failure to provide provide adequate food, water, shelter and veterinary care for animals. So say the DSPCA who can be contacted on 01 – 4994700 – Monday to Friday 9.30 to 5pm.

JennyC

Thank you so much. I will contact them tomorrow. Will also drop a note to them on this and will advise if no actions will be taken by the owners, they will be reported. Hope this will scare them a little.

JennyC

Well, it is reported. They said, they are extremely busy, but will try to check.
    Also, got a print out from their website, which lists the sign of cruelty against animals, printed it out and highlighted it. Will drop into their letterbox. Unfortunatelly not an option to confront them, as they are quite agressive and there are 3 men living in that house.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

You are doing a great job ;) – follow it up with the DSPCA in a few days just to ensure they have investigated.

JennyC

Thank you so much to everyone.

I saw DSPCA van pooling in on Friday at about 11am. Was not able to talk to them, as i was at home alone. However, went to check the neighbors garden that evening, and guess what, there is beautiful wooden dog kennel in the corner, with what looked like blanket inside.
    i am delighted, as there was none on thursday evening, and it was freezing cold.
    So Max (Husky’s name) now has its own house :)

In a couple of month will check him again, as with his size, they will for sure need a better fence, as now he can’t jump over, but Husky not a small dog at all and in a few months, who knows.

Jenny

Well done ;)

Hi Jenny, only saw post now and wouldve echoed exactly what everyone else has said. I dont mean to scare you or be negative but you did mention that your neighbours are the aggressive type so just a word of warning to you for the safety of your own dogs – these type of people, aggressors, are usually bullies and will take out their issues and negativity and aggression on passive and vulnerable victims, so please be very careful with your own dog / dogs. I know we had an issue with our neighbours and are constantly "walking the land" of our back garden because they threatened to poison our dogs. We have found very sharp bones and other peculiar looking oddments of food in our back garden and up our front driveway over the years, so its just one to be wary of. I dont mean to scare you and they probably wont ever do anything like this, but just be mindful that they may feel the need to "pay you back"………. Interestingly enough, we also reported our neighbours for cruelty to their (then) two dogs prior to us getting grief from them. Just goes to show the mentality of these people – they dont ever like to be challenged. Fair play to you for being Max’s voice though as he couldnt help himself. Hopefully he will be more comfortable in his kennel. Our friends have a huskey and even in the snow, he wouldnt come indoors to their house but they have a heated shed and everything for him – no animal should be treated in this fashion. Great news for Max at last though, thanks to you. Wish there were more people like you…….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.