Housetraining!

Housetraining!

New Home Forums DID Dogs Advice Housetraining!

• This topic has 948 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    LoveMyPups

I have a boxer who’s 3 and a half and he is perfectly housetrained since he was a very young pup, my problem is though I have recently got a yorkshire terrier who’s about 5 months old and house-training her seems to be very hit and miss! I dont really know alot about yorkies at all, so just curious does anyone have any tips on housetraining a yorkie? Thanks in advance :D

treacys

If you go into information sheets it has a section on crate training.

LoveMyPups

She is crate-trained. Im talking about training her to go to the toilet outside, because she’s not a really young pup im finding it difficult in telling when she needs to go, she crate-trained in a few days.

ColganFamily

At the top, before you adopt , housetraining
    Hope this works for you

laurac

Bring her outside every two hours at least, when she wakes up, when she is finished a game, after a walk and after eating. Go out with her and wait with her. Put it on cue, so as she toilets say ‘wee-wee’ or whatever word you want. When she goes give her three little rewards. If you can’t watch her pop her in her crate with a kong, so making the dinner, having a shower, poping to the shops. Don’t give her free run of the house, close doors behind you and someone should be watching her. If you know she needs to go and you bring her out and she doesn’t go, pop her in her crate for ten minutes with her kong and try her again. Clean accidents up with biological washing powder to get rid of the smell. If you catch her going in the house say ahah and bring her out don’t be harsh with punishments as she may learn going to the toilet in front of you is bad, not going in the house, if you find an accident after the fact you cannot punish her (even if you show her the wee or poo) she won’t make the association, instead punish the human who was meant to be watching her! Don’t let her free feed her dinner all day, put it down in the morning, lunch time and dinner and if its not eaten within ten mins take it away. Make sure she is on a good quality food as that will reduce the amount she poops. And lastly never rely on the pup to let you know she needs to go out, it is your job to keep checking if she needs to go (eg bringing her out to the garden) so don’t expect her to go to the door if she needs to go, that comes over a long period of time :)

LoveMyPups

Wow, thanks very much laurac, im sure she’ll be trained in no time now! :)

laurac
    jenbear

When we were training our puppy we found he was going to the toilet in exactly the same place inside. I did a bit of research and found that he could smell his scent where he had peed, even though I used carpet cleaner on it.

So we got some special puppy carpet shampoo that got rid of his scent and that helped us a lot. Not sure if that applies to you but it really helped with Ollie.

Laura’s advice is great and should really help you too. TG we were training Ollie during the summer, and it was easier to leave the back door open all the time!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.