Heroic Happy Ending by DID Volunteers

Heroic Happy Ending by DID Volunteers

New Home Forums DID Dogs Our Dogs Happy Endings Heroic Happy Ending by DID Volunteers

• This topic has 1,297 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    justineemoe

Yesterday evening I received a panicked phone call from a friend. He was cycling along the canal near the Kylemore Rd. A woman stopped him and pointed out a trapped dog. The dog was in the canal, up to his neck in water and stuck in the reeds. He was barking with desperation but couldn’t get out. To complicate matters the canal was at the bottom of a 20 foot embankment. The woman had phoned the DSPCA but their helpline closes at 5pm. The gardai has been called but did not show up. My friend had to leave to collect his baby daughter. He didn’t know what to do.

I called Kathy to ask if we had any volunteers in the area. As it happened we did! A car load of them in fact. Kathy, Kim, Nicole and Audrey were returning from a vaccing and chipping trip in Inchicore. They immediately went to the scene. When they arrived my friend had gone, but he gave them an exact location of where the dog was – it was getting dark. Once the girls found the dog they didn’t delay. They went straight down the embankment to be greeted by a desperate Rottie – he must have been freezing in the cold canal. He was also absolutely huge. Without any hesitation they put a slip lead on the Rottie – and tugged him out of the canal.

The poor dog appeared to be in shock and injured at first. Kathy called me back at this stage and over the course of a short phone call she said – “Oh…, he’s wagging his tail”. He started to come around. In fact the girls say that he is the most adorable huge rottie, he showed his extreme gratitude with lots of affection towards them. Kathy called her vet and the Rottie spent last night there under observation. Watch this space for more updates and hopefully a photo soon.

A wholehearted well done to those four girls. Without their speedy response and bravery the outcome for that lovely dog might have been very different.

martinac

what a super story..the poor poor dog!! how awful..but what a happy ending! well done all. Its strange as I work in Park west right on the canal and yesterday I thought I heard barking when I was leaving to go to my car. I should have investigated further but thought it to be nothing sinister!! TG you guys saved the day and the beautiful Rottie…

Jenny

Well done all – DID teamwork at its best :D

jdogs2010

wow, what an amazing story. well done girls :D i’m sure there’s lots more stories like these about the amazing volunteers that we just never hear about. well done!

TobysMum

A lovely soul saved by you wonderful girls – well done. Looking forward to seeing updates.

CFeely

Oh my God! :o the poor dog must have been frantic. Very very well done to all involved, without you this poor dog would certainly have met his maker by now. Just goes to show how important the work of the DID crew really is, there is nobody else to step in for rescue etc ‘after hours’. How inconvenient for the poor dog to need rescue after 5pm! :evil:

dogsrule

I was just thinking about 2 summers ago when my dog came to London. My parents went to Kew gardens for the morning and because dogs aren’t allowed myself and the dog went for a walk by the Thames overlooking Richmond. Dabs ran down the bank into the water and then he and I went for an outdoor lunch. We returned to fetch my parents and of course Dabs ran down again but the tide was in and rising rapidly. He got into trouble fast and as it happened there was a concrete embankment at the part wher he got stuck. Passers by were terrific, offering to jump in, calling the RSPCA and the police. Within a short time the London Metropolitan Police arrived and one young policeman reached down while a colleague held him by his belt. He was about to be fished out just as the lifeboat arrived so they sent it on his way. The police were lovely, asked me to fetch Dab’s lead and promise to cook him a steak dinner. I was touched by how much they love their dogs. I often wonder how my dog would have gotten on in similar circumstances had it been Ireland. Sadly not surprised to hear about the Gardai and the general public I’m afraid. However, am proud that DiD are shining a light and great to see that a man knew it was a safe bet to tell his pal knowing she’s involved in DiD and would help. That gives me hope.

angjo

Well Done to you all once again!! Delighted to hear he is safe and well thanks to the D.I.D Team. :D

Mutley

Well done again, you are all a credit to DID. Dogsrule, that is certainly impressive from the UK authorities – would so love to see even a fraction of response here from the equivalent "services"! :shock:

justineemoe

I think Dogsrule should get the award for the best board name.

carol08

well done all, there no such thing as after hours were kathy an her team are concerned BIG hugs to the D,I,D team

LuvMyFurKids

This boy is now snuggling down in his foster home and settling in very well with his 8 canine companions ….

From being cold wet and very worried……

And 12hrs later to being chipped, fully vacinated warm dry and smiling

Edan%201.jpg
    2010-10 Eden 001.JPG

ptahaney

Well done everyone involved!!!

DID to the rescue :D

Joan Kirwan

Hi How old do you think he is … whats he like with other dogs
    Joan

LuvMyFurKids

Joan, Mark the vet thinks he is between 2-3yrs old and he is great with other dogs …..very strong on the lead but such a lovable soul.
    At the moment he is very excited about being safe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.