Tuck 4 year old staffie -HOMED

Adopted Dogs in Distress dogs who have gone to rainbow bridge, never forgotton.
ste15

Re: Tuck 4 year old staffie

Postby ste15 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Thankyou everybody for your good wishes. :) The anaestethic finally wore off this morning and Tuck got some more life again. Luckily, so far he hasn't really been bothered by the stitches, I just had him out for his usual evening walk and he never even limped on the bad paw. :o
His check up will be monday, and then stitches out in 2 weeks, hopefully the lab results dont take too long.
Our vet Liam said the tests are just precaution really, he told us the technical term for the 'lump' but I couldn't pronounce it so I cant remember it :roll:
He did say if it was what he thought it was everything would be fine. Hopefully he is right!
DogsBestFriend

Postby DogsBestFriend » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Tuck is an absolute dote! Delighted to see that he has got such a good home! We r all keeping 3 sets of paws and 2 lots of fingers crossed that you get good news. Hopefully this may reassure you - we have 3 rescues (2 ex Ashton) and one of ours, Harry, a beardie collie cross has had a succession of lumps removed over the past couple of years. We had good news but I understand what you must be going through, we were up the walls with worry about him at the time. Cant remember the technical name for the lumps - basically there are harmless lumps and those not so harmless. Thankfully, Harry has (and still has) the former - they are basically fatty lumps. Some dogs are just more prone to them than others, however, Harry was very overweight at the time (we spoilt him rotten when he came out of kennels - long story!) and if the doggie is carrying a lot of weight, just as he fills out with the weight, the extra weight exacerbates / accelerates the speed at which the lumps grow. Needless to say, Harry was immediately put on a strict diet and he's done really well, and continues to do so. Unfortunately, with Harry's coat, the lumps arent so easily detected - I groom all of my 3 daily and I think its a brilliant habit to get into; it helps the dog feel closer to you and just as important, you notice any changes on their body straight away. I agree totally with you on the pet insurance, when we sent Harry's lumps away to the lab and got the bill from the vet, between that and the actual removal of each lump (he had about 8 in total at the time), the bill wouldve been about 1,500 or thereabouts and t.g. we only had the 75 excess to pay. Unfortunately, more lumps can grow but its very important that you keep an eye on them, feel them (there should be movement in them and they shouldnt cause pain) and always get any lump checked out. Our friends ignored lump on their dog's hind leg and it turned out to be cancerous, the dog lost his leg but thankfully has survived. I'm sure Tuck will be fine :) We had the results back from the lab within about 5 days (the vet understands that people are anxious and they will usually endeavour to do their best to get the results to you asap). Again, all crossed for your little man and do let us know how he is! (Sorry for rambling on, hope this helps!)
Roverdil

Postby Roverdil » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 pm

Is it a lymphoma? If so, my cat has two of them and they have caused her no bother at all...they just need to be monitored and if they grow too big possibly removed but if not they can just be left as they are.

Fingers crossed for the little guy, glad he is feeling a bit better and hope when the results come back its good news. keep us updated
ste15

Postby ste15 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:52 pm

No, not lipoma I dont think, it began with a 'm'. But I would say its probably the same harmless sort of thing. . . . I hope so anyway.
Tucks checkup went fine, everything seems to be healing alright and he doesn't seem bothered at all by the whole thing.
Just have to wait for results now, the vet says he will definitely have them for when the stitches are coming out.
ste15

Postby ste15 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Woohoo! Results are all clear, it was just a harmless tumor that young dogs get, I still cant pronounce it. :lol: Stitches are out and he is healing nicely.
We're really pleased and the little sod is bound to be spoiled by everybody now. :D
Thanks again everybody for all your good wishes, we really appreciate it. ;)
ptahaney

Postby ptahaney » Sat May 01, 2010 12:21 am

great news!
ste15

Postby ste15 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi again all, I just uploaded some pictures from my phone, the most recent ones are the ones where tuck has the chain link collar on. His leather collar and nilon collars smell when it rains so thats 90% of the time in Ireland. :roll: I have some more pictures on the camera from when it was snowing to add when I find the wire to connect it :roll: Image
Twist
Site Admin

Postby Twist » Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 am

So delighted to hear Tucks good news I am sure you are both relieved.
He is very lucky to have found such good caring parents.
I am delighted for him as he deserves it after his inital experience of being unwanted and I am delighted for both of you as he is clearly an important family member, much loved and cared for.
Please dont leave it so long again before an update as lots of people on the site would love to keep up with his progress.
Happy endings keep us going. ;)
Those who have the privilege to know have the duty to act - Einstein.
ste15

Postby ste15 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:54 pm

:oops: :oops: Sorry it took so long to update, we have had a mad year, between short time working, pay cuts, organising our wedding, and making sure Tuck gets all the attention he so deserves we havn't had a minute to scratch ourselves. We still regularly look at the DID website and recommend adoption as a much better alternative to buying puppy's.
Tuck was my best pal while I was on short time, he kept me company on my days off, we were constantly in the park, Sinead was actually jealous of how much time I had with Tuck! It was good for Tuck too though because it gave him more time with me to get settled in.
Our only problem to date has been other peoples ill advised attitudes towards 'restricted breeds'. We have had people cross the street when walking him. When tuck has the muzzle on he looks like hanibal lecter, so people instantly think he must have bit someone, without the muzzle, everybody loves him.
My da was a bit cautious of Tuck because of the breed when we first got him, but now he comes up to the house to take him off for long walks because my ma wont go with him. :lol: All of the family have taken really well to him, and him to them. Sineads grandparents used to ask 'hows Stephen' when they rang, now it's 'hows Tuck'! :D
Anyway, I'm waffling, we will try and keep updating more regularly, and we hope to see everyone again at the next fun day. :D :D
ste15

Postby ste15 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi all, just a little update on our best pal and housemate Tuck. He's doing really well, happy and healthy!
We had to put him into a kennels for a couple of nights recently because all of his usual babysitters were at our wedding. We were a little worried about leaving him in case he suffered any stress, but he was fine, if anything, I think it might have strengthened his trust in us because he knows we'll be back.
The kennels is Hollygrove kennels in Newcastle, recommended by our vet and we were very pleased with the service, really clean place and they also do grooming aswel now.
I'm going to try and upload some pictures, hope it works.

woohoo 074.JPG
woohoo 074.JPG (66.97 KiB) Viewed 1595 times

woohoo 075.JPG
woohoo 075.JPG (52.56 KiB) Viewed 1595 times

our wedding 103.JPG
our wedding 103.JPG (159.61 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
PreviousNext

Return to In Loving Memory