Lizzy - Collie x

Dogs and pups previously listed in Urgent Matters, now moved to safety by another rescue organisation or individual.
SandS

Re: Lizzy - Collie x

Postby SandS » Sun May 23, 2010 11:37 pm

Robin has been such a brilliant girl all day - however - we are experiencing a few minor incidents of separation anxiety. We intentionally left her for about 5-10 mins earlier and she whined and barked (only time we heard her bark) at the front door for first few minutes and then when we came back in she had retreated upstairs to the sofa.

On foot of this, I'm going to work from home tomorrow so someone is with her for most of the day but also so I can leave her for maybe half an hour or so and see how she gets on.

She is house-trained and is so clever that we feel she will learn very quickly that when we leave for work we will return to her no matter what. I think our Robin is smart enough to get over her anxiety separation within a few weeks or so. I'll be popping out on my lunch hour to see her when I'm back at work (for real) on Tuesday...any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Oh, and the man of the house, is very much her king! She cried a wee bit when he popped out to the shops earlier. She knew I was there with her and would come to me for a cuddle but she would return to the front door and cry for a while until he came back.

She's finding it hard to sleep too - which we expected. She's had quite the exciting day!!
Robin's folks
Jenny
Site Admin

Postby Jenny » Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 am

Lots of reassurance and TLC which I know she is getting from you. Use the fact that you are working from home today to leave her for short periods at first and then lengthen the time you are out of the room - with a big welcome when you come back. She will soon realise you are not leaving her for good. You could also leave the radio on for her when you go out. Lots of dogs suffer separation anxiety when they leave the Pound for a new home.

I'm sure lots of DID members will let you have the benefit of their experience.
animalhelper
Site Admin

Postby animalhelper » Mon May 24, 2010 9:49 am

So delighted Lizzy now Robin is getting on great, well done Ann for introducing her to her new owners! ;) She looks so happy.

I also echo what Ann said, Another thing I would try for the seperation anxiety is a Kong, they are a rubber toy you can get in the pet shop and you can fill it with peanut butter and dry food, you can even put it in the freezer to make it last longer, and when you go out, give it to her as it will keep her occupied, and as she seems to love her food I'm sure she will like it. ;)
Just when i was getting used to yesterday....along came today!!!!
Make cookies....... Not war.
ladles

Postby ladles » Mon May 24, 2010 4:13 pm

Poor Robin is used to spending lots of hours alone in her Kennel especially at the weekend in Ashton and I am sure it was not such a pleasant experience for her. It will take her some time to get used to her new envirnoment, even though it is a much better place for her to be, a perfect place. I am sure it is stressful for you leaving her and hearing her whine, bark and cry. Lyric FM is a very soothing background noise to have on while you are there and when you are out, although some say that talk radio might be more comforting. The chances are that she does settle quickly enough once you have left. I have seen flower essence remedies for sale in some of the health food shops and I seem to remember one that was for separation anxiety in animals. You might give Nourish a call and see if they have it in stock.
SandS

Postby SandS » Tue May 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Day 3 with our new girl and all three of us are exhausted!

We are trying to settle Robin in as best we can and have enrolled the help of two lovely dog-walkers who now call in for her on weekdays while we are at work.

As I worked from home yesterday, today was the BIG test as we had to leave Robin on her own. She cried, barked and whined while I was leaving but I had to just walk away and get to work. She was on my mind all day but I got texts from the dog-walker that she was a happy little camper and loved her lunchtime walk.

I took her out at 6am and S and I walked her at 6pm so she's been kept active and stuck to the same exercise routine so far. She was very well behaved last night too and the soiling inside is less frequent.

When I came home from work I heard her whining at the door (I'm sure the neighbours might have something to say about it!) but I think she is starting to learn that we will always be back.

It's a learning curve for all three of us, I guess. She's very sore and tender on her left side so we're taking her to the vet on Friday.

What we have learned is that:

(a): she is super clever; she knows her new name and already heeds commands like "Sit" and "No!" and "Heel"
(b): she is obsessed with blue cars! When we pass one she has to look in - only blue cars
(c): she adores kids, especially younger one's and wags her tail furiously when she sees them (we don't let her near just in case)
(d) she loves Doritos (the cheesy ones!)

She has the most gorgeous temperament. It would be great to see her gain some confidence in us and learn to enjoy her few hours alone between walks than crying and stressing herself out :cry:

Rescue remedy and talk radio work like a treat - and she loves a little tiger teddy which she brings to bed with her :)

Bought her a Kong today so that might take her mind off the few hours in between company.

Finally, many thanks Kathy for keeping in touch, its very much appreciated and we're very grateful. Robin is so important to us, we really hope we do right by her.
Attachments
Stephen & Robin.jpg
Stephen & Robin.jpg (132.54 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Robin's folks
Jenny
Site Admin

Postby Jenny » Tue May 25, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks for the update. It's early days for all three of you - it usually takes a few weeks for a dog to settle and Robin could not ask for a more dedicated new family.
SandS

Postby SandS » Sun May 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Week 1 - Update

Just a quick update on Robin, our gorgeous six-year-old. She is with us one week today and has come on in leaps and bounds.

A visit to the vets told us that apart from being terribly underweight she is fit as a fiddle. She got a worm dose and we bring her back in two weeks for her vaccinations (actually, DiD, do any of you ladies know if she received any vaccinations while in Aston? The vet was asking us but we didn't think so).

Monday to Friday we have tried to instill routine. She is walked before we leave for work (she even knocks on our door now just before 6am to tell us she's awake and expecting us!), has a dogwalker take her out at lunchtime (by her third day she was ready to walk with other dogs and loves it), and we walk her again in the evening (both S and I have lost weight this week :lol: :lol: :lol: ). She is so good on her lead and we're so proud of her - she is such a beautiful looking dog. People, dogs, kids all love her and she has just a wonderful way about her that she takes it all in her stride - she's quite the lady.

We're still having a difficult time trying to house train her - I guess she's still a nervous little thing after so long in the pound and who knows what before that. She doesn't sleep a lot and even though we take her out for lots of toilet trips, which she has yet to get used to, we wake up to some messy situations every morning! At the moment we have the place covered in newspapers. We'll remove them sheet by sheet once she starts to stick to one place. The puppy pads and spray have done nothing to encourage her and we even put a little bit of her pee on some newpaper to see if that would encourage her to go in the one place but this hasn't happened yet. But as I say, its the first week and hopefully as she settles this will become less of a problem. When she does toilet - always on our walks and not on toilet breaks - she gets so much praise. Hopefully, this will make some difference.

She has the odd short-lived afternoon or evening snooze now which is super because she was so jumpy all week that shutting her eyes for even 30 seconds was out of the question. She still jumps up if we stand up and we can't head downstairs without her thinking she is getting to go out. She's very respectful of boundaries, however. We don't allow her into the bedroom after she pee'd everywhere on the first night - including an extension lead full of sockets...eek!! But she learned so quickly that she was not allowed in and never crosses the threshold when the door is open but lies down in the hall looking in, while I potter about in the room. Such a smart girl.

The main thing is that aside from this we are having a lot of fun with our girl. I watched a movie last night with her lying beside me on the couch and she seemed so happy. She loves giving and getting hugs and responds extremely well to any and all reassurance that she is the best dog ever!!

To be continued...
Attachments
Robinathome.jpg
Robinathome.jpg (128.52 KiB) Viewed 1354 times
Robin's folks
ladles

Postby ladles » Sun May 30, 2010 5:31 pm

Well, Robin is looking so much better in the short space of a week. She is lucky to have found such lovely people to care for her. She is making progress and hopefully the housetraining problems will become a thing of the past. Thanks for the update, it lovely to hear how the ex-poundies are getting on. Thanks
Jenny
Site Admin

Postby Jenny » Sun May 30, 2010 8:55 pm

Many thanks for the update on Robin. She would not have received any vaccinations in the Pound - so I'm afraid you will have to start from scratch with those.

I'm quite sure her toilet training will improve very soon as she is coming on so well in all other areas. Lucky girl to have found such a wonderful family.

Keep us posted.
SandS

Postby SandS » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:37 pm

So it's been 6 weeks since Robin came into our world and it's a lot brighter because of her. :D

Just thought we should share some of the wonderful photo's of our girl over the last two months - and thanks Ann for introducing us (we are so grateful) and to Kathy for all your help.

This is definitely one for the happy endings... :P
Attachments
Image0112.jpg
Image0112.jpg (156.29 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Image0113.jpg
Image0113.jpg (198.98 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
robin.jpg
robin.jpg (261.05 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Robin's folks
PreviousNext

Return to Out and Safe