Rusty

Read stories of dogs who found their forever homes. Please keep us updated on how your new family member is settling in - we love to hear how they are getting on. It makes it all worthwhile!
Daas

Re: Rusty

Postby Daas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:21 am

Hi,
A quick update on Rusty. Was back at the vet yesterday and the news was bad. His condition has deteriorated badly since it came to light last Aug. Rusty is in a lot of discomfort and pain now and needs a double hip replacement (one this year, one next) or the OTHER option. Has been given stronger painkillers to help with the discomfort. The poor guy came home yesterday and hasn't moved from his bed, the ordeal of being lifted in and out of the car has taken it's toll. Sad to him like this as he has only just turned three but i need to take stock and do what's best for him.
Regards...
annieo

Postby annieo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:20 pm

Just been reading about Rusty, so sad to read the latest news, thoughts are with you.
Daas

Postby Daas » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:53 am

Hi,
Sorry it's taken so long to post, have been really busy with family stuff and taking care of Rusty.
Originally mixed news regarding the big fella. Further x-rays revealed extensive damage to both hind knees, good as not as invasive as hip surgery (though still major trauma), bad as hip replacement permanent, knee op gives him approx 3/4 years of good health before knees degrade again.
Rusty had his first op on his left knee in April and after extensive rehab is much brighter and happier in himself. Recently back to full walks, he even runs again off the lead which is huge progress for him.
It's like having a bouncy puppy again.
Rusty will have second op in early July and after rehab should have a full, happy life for a few years. He will be well minded and spoilt rotten as he deserves it. Still not the most obedient fella but a very loving dog and i'll take that all day long.
LuvMyFurKids

Postby LuvMyFurKids » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Oh this news has certainly made my week Paul......delighted to hear that the prognosis is far better than what we spoke of the last time.

Well done on giving this big baby the love and support that he needs and can only imagine the payback you are getting in tenfold...

Give him a big hug from me! :D
Audrey
Luv My Fur Kids
Daas

Postby Daas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:32 am

Hi,
Apologies for not posting for so long. Rusty is doing really well again. He had been suffering from an upset tummy for a number of months despite repeated visits to his vet and a thorough exam in UCD (he was poorly until morning of trip to UCD when he staged a miraculous recovery). No ongoing symptoms were found and he seems fine as I write this. I cut out pork ears and bones for the big guy as he hovered them up as opposed to chewing them and I suspect he may have been nicked by a shard or two of bone.
We ironed out some recall issues when he was off the lead, due mainly to his friendly, fun loving nature.
He remains a very loving and well loved dog, has a great temperament and enjoys his walks and cuddles.
Attachments
IMAG0043.jpg
IMAG0043.jpg (104.79 KiB) Viewed 887 times
Daas

Postby Daas » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:13 pm

Forgot to say his second knee op a success...
Some recent photos of him...
Attachments
DSC_0015.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG (60.37 KiB) Viewed 856 times
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG (54.46 KiB) Viewed 856 times
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0013.JPG (58.33 KiB) Viewed 856 times
LuvMyFurKids

Postby LuvMyFurKids » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Chuffed the big boy is doing great ....
Audrey
Luv My Fur Kids
Daas

Postby Daas » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi all,
Rusty recently had his annual check up and his shots. His general health is good and both rear knees are holding up well. His stomach seems almost back to normal now having cut out bones and pork ears as he tried to hoover them up rather than chewing them.
He still loves his walk and still parks his 35kg butt on your lap until he's brought for one. As a ploy it works well apart from the loss of feeling in my legs :D
He's doing way better than 12/18 months ago thankfully. Will update again soon.
Attachments
DSC_0036.JPG
Remember, sharing is caring...
DSC_0036.JPG (52.04 KiB) Viewed 768 times
DSC_0037.JPG
We even snore together...
DSC_0037.JPG (70.39 KiB) Viewed 768 times
LuvMyFurKids

Postby LuvMyFurKids » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:01 am

Ah big man I am delighted to hear how well you are doing and you look fantastic ...hope Santa Paws is good to you!
Audrey
Luv My Fur Kids
Daas

Postby Daas » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:44 pm

Rusty and his family lost the home they were renting last March owing to a huge rent hike. Whilst trying to find a new home (most won't take dogs) we are staying with my sister. Rusty is homed now in the back garden as my sister allergic . At first he lost 6kg in weight as he struggled to adjust. He's now a fit and healthy boy again after a diet of puppy food.
Rusty still a loveable mutt who enjoys his walks and food above all else.
Attachments
DSC_0090.JPG
Strolling in the park
DSC_0090.JPG (53.04 KiB) Viewed 692 times
DSC_0095.JPG
Enjoying the shade
DSC_0095.JPG (109.32 KiB) Viewed 692 times
PreviousNext

Return to Happy Endings