Cassie - ref 282 - Collie x - approx. 1yr - HOMED

Read stories of dogs who found their forever homes. Please keep us updated on how your new family member is settling in - we love to hear how they are getting on. It makes it all worthwhile!
Indianna

Re: Cassie - ref 282 - Collie x - approx. 1yr - HOMED

Postby Indianna » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:36 pm

Had a nice walk round our village green this morning, warm and dry but I think there is a massive storm land in the south of England. They can keep it. 8-)
Indianna

Postby Indianna » Tue May 07, 2019 12:32 pm

The creature is getting out of hand. When she pets me she tells me I have lost all my bones because she can't feel any bones. I suspect she is trying to say I am fat! :evil: Well I'm not fat, I just have a thick coat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indianna

Postby Indianna » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:39 pm

Hello all. Had a bit of an eventful year. Just about this time last year, one morning I suddenly sat up in my bed, promptly fell out of said bed and was sick. Staggered around the room being followed by the creature who was trying to get a hold of me. Was sick a couple more times. Creature put a crate up and managed to get me into it. I kept falling over and was very staggery. It was horrible. She called the vet and I had to go and see him. The creature helped me into the car and we headed off. By the time we got to the vets I could hardly stand and could not walk in a straight line. I was admitted to the hospital, had lots of blood taken for various tests, was given drugs to stop me being sick and was put on a drip after having been so sick. Vet called the creature the next day to say that I had deteriorated a bit overnight but agreed to carry on with the drip and kept me in the hospital for another 24 hours. That vet told the creature that although they had my age recorded as 8, I was actually older than that and could well be 14. The creature did not accept that suggestion at all and was really rather offended by the suggestion. I know the creature had a very worrying night. Next day another vet who was on weekend duty called the creature and much to the creature's delight she knew this vet quite well. Vet said she wanted me to go home because I would be happier at home. Vet had taken more blood to check for various things and had given me a small amount of food which I kept down so she had removed the drip. Creature was asked to collect me at 3.00 just so the vet could check that I was not going to be sick again. Anyhoo, long story short the vet said I had something called idiopathic vestibular syndrome. Creature had no idea what that meant and was told that idiopathic just meant there was no known cause so could not be treated as such. Vestibular, middle ear. The light bulb came on in the creature's head, that explained the falling about and being sick. Vet agreed with the first one that I was older than 8. Said it was quite a common condition but always in dogs in double figures. Creature told her that she could not accept that I was 14 and the vet agreed that I probably wasn't 14. Creature suggested 10 and vet thought a bit older (maybe she really did think I was 14) so creature suggested 11 years old and the vet agreed to that. When I left the practice I was still staggering to the left when trying to walk in straight line and my head was a bit twisted to the left. I was very happy to get home but had to stay in the crate, had food and water at a height, cover over the crate just so I wasn't in bright light. Had to be on a lead to go out to the garden (with help) for toilet duties. After 5 days I was more or less normal again but do have a permanent head tilt. Vet did say once an attack has happened it will happen again and low and behold 3 weeks and one day later, exactly the same thing again. The vet did say if and when it does happen again only to take me to the vet if I was being sick, otherwise back in the crate and follow the previous instructions. I was only sick a couple of times the second time it happened so didn't go to the vet and it took 5 or 6 days to settle down again. I have to stay on a lead when out and about now just in case I get dizzy and fall over and injure myself. That is my only restriction. I still LOVE my food, have different beds to choose from and pretty much get to do what I like because I have this condition and am now probably 12. This means that both Nellie and I will be in our 13th year in 2020. I developed little white eyebrows about 6 months ago and the creature told me that my eyebrows make me look a bit cross but I'm not, I am my usual happy little self. I wish to thank DID for helping me when I needed help and wish you all the very best for 2020 and beyond.
Indianna

Postby Indianna » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:43 pm

The endless rain has finally stopped and it is really quite cold and a bit frosty. I spent the day at home, tip toeing out to the garden for 'visits' and straight back in. No hanging around for me, I like my cosy bed and I get all snuggled in and I love it. If only the creature would spend the day hand feeding me lovely things. I know there is turkey currently cooking and I am awaiting my share :P
dogsrule

Postby dogsrule » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Would you believe that I was reading this and thinking your wobbly circling symptoms were sounding very familiar. When I saw idiopathic vestibular syndrome I realised that yes.. Brandon had that too during the year and his age would be at least 11 at this stage. Good the appetite is back! Brandon hasn't had a return of his food interest. He has an o-tube in for feeding since August. The head tilt resolved itself. Also, anti-sea sickness tablets were needed for a few weeks to halt his nausea. Coukdn't eat at all for 2 weeks. It's a very scary and puzzling illness. Get well soon!
I call animals "guardians of Being," especially animals that live with humans. Because, for many humans, it's through their contact with animals they get in touch with that level of being. Eckhart Tolle
Indianna

Postby Indianna » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:07 am

It's a horrible thing to happen and I cannot tell you how many people have told me they either have or have had dogs with it. I had never heard of it until it happened to Jet. Food is everything to Jet because she was starving when she landed in the pound so I am glad she never went off her food. Your poor dog, will an appetite come back? I was quite taken aback when the vet said it almost always happens to dogs in double figures and there was me thinking Jet was 8 so an instant 4 year add on was somewhat of a surprise. I don't care, just wish she was younger. She gets to do what she likes now because of her age and health. The vet did say the only good thing about this condition is that it is not painful but must be very unpleasant when it happens. Our poor, wobbly dogs. Wish you all the best from Jet and I.
kaydoyle
Site Admin

Postby kaydoyle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:04 pm

Hope she continues to improve... The main thing is she is loved and is living her best life :D
Learn from yesterday - Live for today - Hope for tomorrow!!!! -
dogsrule

Postby dogsrule » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:13 pm

Brandon us eating a bit more. What we've had to do is try samples of different wet foods. His taste keeps changing. Now our vet hasn't mentioned the o-tube removal but said the apparatus has a shelf-life of months but will not last too long. His back is giving him trouble and there muscle wastage in the hind quarters so he is due his next steroid injection which he began in mid December. He is on an oral steroid too. The whole turn weakened his entire immune system so we will get a culture of his urine to see if the bladder infection is still gone.

I hope Jet stays well and more importantly content. When they know their human companion is looking out for them it makes them feel happy, at least it seems so to me.
I call animals "guardians of Being," especially animals that live with humans. Because, for many humans, it's through their contact with animals they get in touch with that level of being. Eckhart Tolle
Indianna

Postby Indianna » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:03 pm

Poor boy, way worse than Jet by the sound of it. As you say, so long as they are being cared for, feel safe and wanted is a great help and am sure it does help them. Can't imagine a life without Jet and cannot convey how sweet she really is. Never puts a foot wrong. Her little white eyebrows still make me laugh, makes her look so annoyed but that could not be further from the truth.
Previous

Return to Happy Endings